Skip to main content

Iceland (Part 2) - Blue Lagoon and Snaefellnes Peninsula, Western Iceland

We rented a 2WD Ford Focus this is our transport for the rest of our journey in Iceland.


Blue Lagoon
This is one of the famous touristy place that one has to step foot on when you are in Iceland. We are not exactly interested in this man made lagoon but since we were already quite near there so might as well.. You know..


Before we enter the ticket office of Blue Lagoon, there is this beautiful walkpath which you can take to enjoy the scenery of blue color lagoon . If you are not interested in swimming in the hot blue pool and just want to enjoy the scenery of blue color lagoon, you can just walk through this footpath and you don't even have to pay a single cent.
Inside the Blue Lagoon was quite misty as the water was hot. 
You may visit the Blue Lagoon website to decide which package you want to take and how to get there.

Western Iceland, Snaefellnes Peninsular
Our next destination was Western Iceland, Snaefellnes Peninsular. I highly recommend the guesthouse we stayed in, Grund i Grundarfirdi. It was 5 minutes drive away from the town, Grundarfjorour. The host was super friendly and nice, they will stock up food in the kitchen so that guests won't go hungry. The guesthouse was clean and cosy. We felt so at home while staying there. The host, Pall even became my husband driving instructor, teaching him how to drive on icy, slippery road. Even after we left the guesthouse, he still called regularly to ask how were we doing in Iceland and whether we saw the northern lights, like a friend, was really happy to know Pall! Highly recommended!



Northern lights encounter #1: seen from our guest house
The next best thing was, we saw the northern lights on our second night stay in Grund i Grundarfirdi! We got back at the guesthouse at around 9pm. Hubby looked up into the sky and saw a weird patch of white cloud looking thing and asked me, "Eh? How come can see white clouds in the night sky one?" I looked up and told hubby to prepare his camera..




We were ecstatic! This was the first time we saw northern lights! It was really beautiful. The northern lights we saw this time was the inactive one. Meaning, it's just a flash across the sky, it's not 'dancing' above us, but we were really super happy and satisfied. After about half an hour, clouds creep in and we are unable to see the northern lights anymore.

Kirkjufell Mountain
Grund i Grundarfirdi was located directly in front of the beautiful Kirkjufell Mountain.



Arnarstapi
The famous monument of the town was this giant stone statue.

I was so small beside it. Hahaha.
Walking to the cliff side, we saw the Eagle's cliff.



If you have the time to spare and if the road and weather conditions permit, you can actually hike to Anarstapi from Hellnar. The tourist information center is in Hellnar and they can provide you details of the hiking route around the towns in Snaefellnes Peninsular.

Hellnar



Unfortunately, when we were there, the road conditions were bad and we were unable to drive any further. It's a pity that we couldn't go nearer to the Snaefellsjokull National Park.


Other places of interest which we had planned to go but had to cancel due to the bad road conditions were:
- Londrangar, which is 6km from Hellnar. There are 2 massive lava formations here.
- Djupalonssandur and Dritvik, which is 8km from Londrangar. These are the black sand beaches with stunning rock formations.
- And of course, the Snaefellsjokull National Park, where there are many famous sites such as the magnificent Snaefells glacier, Saxholl volcano crater, volcanic lava cave (Vatnshellir).
So many things that we couldn't explore! Next time I must choose another time of the year to come to explore the places I missed out.
So if you plan to go Snaefellsness Peninsular, and the road conditions permit, do include the above into your itinerary!

While driving around Snaefellnes Peninsular, there were many beautiful scenery and rock formations along the road. We couldn't control ourselves and we had to stop in the middle of the road to admire the scenery and take some photos.






The actual scenery is much more beautiful and mesmerizing than the photos. I couldn't describe my feeling when we were driving through the mountains. I so touched and attracted to the surrounding, I dun want to leave.


Okay, I'm ending this post with the amazing 'bright orange' sunset in Iceland! Stay tune for Part 3 - Southern Iceland!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has